Selected Projects and roles completed by Brett Skyring
With more than 20 years experience in operational and project leadership roles in both government and corporate sectors in client-focused enterprises, concurrent to small business ownership for 9 years, and change management consultancy roles, Brett is passionate about sustainable urban and infrastructure planning and development, social sciences, social and economic policy, the dynamics of change in society and organisations with a focus on liveability, social inclusion and positive environmental and economic outcomes.
Brett’s ability to look beyond the obvious and challenge the accepted norm in service delivery and product and project development, providing high quality research based advices are two of my key strengths, built on:
- 12 years experience in team leadership (up to over 25-30 staff per project), staff development, management consultancy and project management experience in the land-use planning, infrastructure development and strategic planning for local and state government agencies and private clients, including industrial land projects, 1200+ plus master-planned communities, road and rail infrastructure, pipeline and energy infrastructure and internal approvals for significant LNG project in Australia.
- 11 years experience in team leadership management, staff development, consultancy and project management experience in the health and human services sectors in Australia
- Strong experience over the past 20 years in stakeholder engagement processes
Examples of Brett’s work include:
- Under the banner of Panther Consultant Planners Pty Ltd
- Shared Services Hub ATSI Local Government areas of Queensland (Client: Department of Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander and Multicultural Affairs)
Shared Services Hub Feasibility Project (Stage one) to support town planning, land tenure and administration management requirements of 16 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander local governments of Queensland and Registered Native Title Bodies Corporates (RNTBCs) – (Indigenous Communities). Accountable for analysing the planning and support needs of 16 local governments, evaluating workload needs to support delivery of newly adopted and draft planning schemes.
Considered innovative ways of delivering planning assessment services, including undertaking governance, financial and technical resource feasibility. Partner with major legal firm for the critical analysis of regulatory frameworks of the local governments and RNTBCs.
- Peppers Coral Coast Resort (Client: Latitude Development Group). Development application program involving three separate approvals to obtain approval for the final project of a 102-room resort, convention centre and residential dwellings at Airlie Beach.
- Multiple dwelling developments in Mackay and Nebo (Central Queensland) for private developers.
- Two-unit development on rural property, six-unit multiple dwelling project and expansion of commercial centre for Mackay for same client; two multiple unit developments in Mackay for the same client.
2. Fixed term contract with Origin Energy
Played a focal role in managing Permit and Approvals P6 Project implementation schedules for regulatory approvals/ on-ground environmental assessments and land access requirements for Origin Energy Conventional and Unconventional Gas Business, and the Australia Pacific LNG project, exploration programme and upstream business projects.
Working very closely with construction project leaders, engineers, project managers, environmental and land access professionals, cultural heritage specialists and project schedulers / IT specialists to build the culture of looking at the big picture for all works to be completed at the property/ gas field level within the project.
We addressed issues including resource management/ supply chain management, infrastructure delivery, environment and cultural protection, landowner requirements and regulatory approvals (EPBC, SPA and EPA requirements). Process development and project execution planning at the single property, petroleum licence, local government area and development assessment practice were key tasks within this role.
3. Various Projects completed while employed by Parsons Brinckerhoff Australia
- Project Leader for the ‘Platinum Apartments (State Government) Ministerial Call In Project” for a development on the Gold Coast City
- Gold Coast Rapid Transit (2009-2010) Geotechnical Assessments Approvals and Permits. Lead Planner. Prepare, deliver and finalise approvals for the geotechnical assessments to support the design and construction of the Gold Coast Rapid Transit project. The role included site assessments, research, negotiations with Gold Coast City Council and Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- Coal Stream 50 Rail Project to Abbott Point, Bowen (2010) Queensland Rail. Worked with Environmental Approvals Leader to facilitate delivery of approvals and permits for rail extension and duplication project.
- Mackay Works Depot Development Application (2009-2010), Mackay QLD., Mackay Regional Council Responsible for project coordination of preparation of Mackay Works depot development applications for reconfiguration of a lot, material change of use and operational works.
- Mackay Industrial Land Investigation (2009) Department of Infrastructure and Planning. Finalised Stage 1 assessment of four potential sites. Project Management of Stage 2 Assessment of identified site at Bakers Creek – planning, environmental and civil assessments completed
- Northshore Hamilton Infrastructure Charges and Planning Schedule (2008), Brisbane QLD. Project Manager, Urban Land Development Authority (ULDA): Managed project, reviewed the proposed required infrastructure, assessed infrastructure costs and prepared charges schedule and planning framework to correlate with the land use plan and infrastructure plan prepared for the ULDA.
- Queensland Rail Gold Coast Extension (2009), Gold Coast, QLD., Queensland Rail: As Planning and Legislation Technical Officer, oversaw completion of land use and legislation aspects of the Stewart Road to Coolangatta Airport Gold Coast Rail Line extension report for Queensland Rail.
- Solar Power Station Siting Report (2008), NSW: As Planning and Legislation Technical Officer, International Power, devised legislation and approvals and town planning requirements report for development in NSW. Reviewed relevant Commonwealth and state legislation, planning and environment policy, renewable energy policy and major projects policy in NSW.
4. Morvale Developments Pty Ltd (Development Manager and Town Planner)
- Deliver the Central Park Stage 2 Industrial Park in Mackay
- Deliver the 78-lot Orchid Valley Estate (Stages 1 and 2) in Mirani
- Deliver the 73-lot Glenrowan Estate (Stages 1 and 3a) in Mackay
- Administered project of three master plan communities and two further development applications including negotiations with relevant authorities to secure development approvals, consultant management, contract administration and conducting feasibility assessments for land development opportunities in Mackay, Mirani, Whitsunday, and Townsville local government areas, including translation of urban design frameworks into town planning scheme provisions on two of the projects
- Accountable for oversight of a 280-lot mixed residential development application to Whitsunday Regional Council in Proserpine, Central Queensland (adjacent to Airlie Beach), including government precinct, school and commercial centres.
5. WS Group (Senior Town Planner)
- A 200 lot mixed residential development in northern beaches of Mackay for a private developer.
- Plantation Palms Stage 2. Plantation Palms is a 1200 residential lot master planned community with two commercial centres in the northern beaches area of Mackay. Brett prepared the IPA Section 3.1.6 development application to over-ride the approved planning scheme for 290 lot mixed development, including translation of urban design frameworks into town planning scheme provisions
- Multiple industrial land developments in Mackay and Bowen Basin
- Workers camp preliminary investigation in Bowen Basin
- Multiple industrial and commercial built-form projects in Mackay and Bowen Basin
- Multiple small lot residential developments including sub-divisions, duplexes and multiple dwelling prophets